Traditionally, leaders were seen to be only those people at the top of the organisation who had positional power and authority. In today’s turbulent operating environments, leadership is seen as being distributed throughout the organisation. This allows for leadership to emerge from anywhere which is most appropriate for the situation. With distributed and emergent leadership an organisation can adapt to changing circumstances with great agility.
Whilst leadership is now distributed and emergent, its nature differs according to its overall purpose:
- Strategic - Concerned with the long-term sustainability of the organisation. Involves forecasting future operating environments and positioning the organisation to achieve long term success.
- Tactical - Concerned with translating long-term strategic plans into operational delivery. Involves combining and utilising the organisation’s resources in the most effective way, to meet customer needs better than the competition, and efficiently so as to realise a profit.
- Operational - Concerned with delivering services to ensure the effective and efficient utilisation of resources. Involves both work winning and project delivery.
We provide leadership development programmes which can be designed to deliver your company’s brand at the strategic, tactical and operational levels. Leadership at each of these levels the required knowledge, skills and psychological capabilities differ. On our leadership development programmes we teach new knowledge, train new skills, develop new capabilities and guide people towards new stages of psychological growth.
Leaders develop in the workplace, not in conference centres or training rooms. They develop by facing a challenge in the workplace where their current perspective will not provide a solution. By overcoming the challenge a new perspective emerges and they transition to a higher stage of psychological growth. This allows them to integrate and use new leadership knowledge and skills. To make this transition effectively, leaders first need to be prepared and then supported.
- Knowledge - Pre-reading to provide the theoretical underpinning to the new leadership skills.
- Skills - Workshops enabling the practice of leadership skills that deliver the brand in a challenging and safe environment.
- Psychological Capability - Activities enabling leaders to gain greater capability in how they think, feel and behave.
Leaders are guided to find and take on a business project that provides a developmental challenge which is appropriate for their stage of psychological growth.
As facing a developmental challenge causes anxiety until the next stage in their development starts to emerge, the leaders are supported by working with a coach and participating in action learning groups.
Contact us to chat with one of our team about a leadership development programme in your organisation.